This fancy overnight egg bake is ideal for guests. In the morning, you can simply let it come to room temperature and whip up side dishes as it bakes. Then get ready for compliments! —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 4 cups cubed ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 10 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon or lox, coarsely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Creme fraiche or sour cream and minced chives
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with butter and oil; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses, onions and salmon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with creme fraiche and chives. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Smoked Salmon Strata in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Elegant Smoked Salmon Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 31, 2016
"Loved this recipe! I substituted goat cheese and cream cheese plus added dill. I would make this over and over again!"
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2013
"didn't think it was worth the time it look to make. just okay in my opinion"