- PASTRY CREAM:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries or other berries
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, warmed
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla. Pour into a small bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, without stirring, until chilled.
- On a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet, unfold puff pastry sheet and form a 10-in. square (lightly use a rolling pin if necessary). With a large sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut a strip of dough 2-in. wide, leaving a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. From the 2-in. strip, cut two 10-in. x 1/2-in. strips and two 7-in. x 1/2-in. strips. Discard trimmings.
- Prick the 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle (pastry base) with a fork. Brush with water 1/2 in. around edges. Place the 10-in. x 1/2-in. and 7-in. x 1/2-in. strips along edge of base to form the sides; press lightly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over top of pastry. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, place tart on a serving plate. Spread with pastry cream. Top with raspberries; brush with jam. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Raspberry Dessert in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p200
Reviews for Elegant Raspberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review