Elegant Pork Marsala Recipe
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 turkey bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup Marsala wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. In a shallow bowl, mix flour and pepper. Dip pork chops in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add pork chops; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- 3. In same skillet, add mushrooms, onion and bacon to drippings; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and broth until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with pork. Yield: 6 servings.
1 pork chop with 1/3 cup sauce equals 232 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.