- 1 unsliced round loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 5 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the bread; set aside. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) In a large skillet, cook bacon and mushrooms until bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute red pepper in drippings until crisp-tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Lightly beat eggs with milk, chives and pepper; add to skillet along with reserved bacon mixture. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set; remove from the heat. Place bread shell on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil. Spoon half of egg mixture into shell; sprinkle with half of the red pepper and half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Replace bread top and wrap bread tightly with foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes; cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Omelet Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p89
Reviews for Elegant Omelet Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review