- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, saute water chestnuts, onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In large skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Stir in milk, broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in green beans and cheese.
- Spoon half of the bean mixture into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with water chestnut mixture and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Top with French-fried onions. Bake 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Elegant Green Beans
"I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone liked this dish very much. Will be making this green bean casserole for next Thanksgiving and tonight also!!!!"
"This was truly a magnificent dish, everyone at the table raved about it. Green Bean Casserole will finally be returned to the holiday table. Loved it to bits!"
"This was a hit at thanksgiving so we are making it again for Easter! The water chestnuts add that extra pizzaz!"
"we loved this dish over the recipes containing mushroom soup. The water chestnuts gave added texture, and the cheese a yummy rich flavor. I like to add a little garlic powder too."