Elegant Green Beans Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed French-fried onions
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, saute water chestnuts, onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- 2. In large skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Stir in milk, broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in green beans and cheese.
- 3. Spoon half of the bean mixture into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with water chestnut mixture and remaining bean mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Top with French-fried onions. Bake 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 218 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Elegant Green Beans
"I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone liked this dish very much. Will be making this green bean casserole for next Thanksgiving and tonight also!!!!"
"This was truly a magnificent dish, everyone at the table raved about it. Green Bean Casserole will finally be returned to the holiday table. Loved it to bits!"
"This was a hit at thanksgiving so we are making it again for Easter! The water chestnuts add that extra pizzaz!"
"we loved this dish over the recipes containing mushroom soup. The water chestnuts gave added texture, and the cheese a yummy rich flavor. I like to add a little garlic powder too."
"<p>Made this dish for Thanksgiving and received rave reviews. I followed the recipe as directed except didn't have the cheese or water chestnuts, so I left that out. It was delicious and will definately be making this my recipe to use for making this dish.</p>"
"We loved this dish for Thanksgiving! It's better than the run-of-the-mill green bean casserole made with a can of soup. I appreciate the fact that the sauce is made from scratch, as I prefer not to use processed foods most of the time when I cook. We loved the water chestnuts....they give the dish a nice crunch. I'd also like to use fresh mushrooms the next time I make it, and I use homemade chicken broth instead of canned when I'm able too, since the canned is so high in sodium."
"THE BEST green bean dish EVER! Made this for Thanksgiving when only two people were eating together ... and the left overs did not make it past the second day. I will probably leave the water chestnuts out in the future. I am not quite sure what they were bringing to the recipe. Everything else is wonderful."
"delicious and easy!!!"
"I took this to Thanksgiving and it got rave reviews and requests for the recipe. Already been told to bring at Christmas."