Mushrooms and water chestnuts give new life to ordinary green bean casserole. Every time I make it for friends, I'm asked to share the recipe. —Linda Poe, Sandstone, Minnesota
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, saute water chestnuts, onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In large skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Stir in milk, broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in green beans and cheese.
- Spoon half of the bean mixture into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with water chestnut mixture and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Top with French-fried onions. Bake 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Green Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p64
Reviews for Elegant Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review