"My mom fixed this dressed-up chocolate cake for me when I came home from college," recalls Laura German of West Warren, Massachusetts. "Now I serve it to my family. They love the yummy pecan-packed caramel sauce."
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream and additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy small saucepan, combine caramels and water. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Add pecans. Cool slightly. Cut the cake into squares; drizzle with warm caramel sauce. Top with whipped cream and pecans if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Chocolate Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p57
Reviews for Elegant Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2013
"This cake is so simple to make but presents so elegant. One of my favorite cakes to make."