El Sombrero Corn Bread Recipe
This moist, cheesy corn bread is easy to stir together and pop in the oven just before dinner. Vary the number of peppers to suit your taste.—Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, corn, sour cream and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup cheese and jalapenos.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 365 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC