- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, corn, sour cream and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup cheese and jalapenos.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for El Sombrero Corn Bread
Sort By :
"I liked that this corn bread included some other ingredients besides just cornmeal and flour like so many others, but for us, the taste just didn't come together. Maybe it needed more salt, or more cornmeal ( I was a little low and substituted with flour), but it did come out a bit mushy and greasy. Sorry, not a fan."
"Horrible. Came out swimming in grease, and was coarse and crumbly. Just awful. Flavor was not good."
"It needed to cook longer than the recipe states. There was a whole lot of cheese in this bread but it didn't enhance the recipe. I wanted to love it and even used it as my weight watchers cheat! So not worth it!"
"Every corn bread recipe I have tried so far has had a pile of sugar in it & I don't like sweet corn bread. This one is absolutely perfect. Moist & tasty. Thanks. I now have the recipe I will always be using. I don't have to look any further."
"I keep looking for the perfect corn bread recipe. This was not it for us. Too much cheese."