El Paso Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in broth and refried beans; whisk until smooth. Stir in the beans, ham, parsley, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and heat through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 289 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 1,145 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.