El Paso Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in broth and refried beans; whisk until smooth. Stir in the beans, ham, parsley, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and heat through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for El Paso Bean Soup
Sort By :
"This is a spectacular recipe! I have given it to so many people and everyone of them has added this to their regular rotation of family recipes. Even my mother-in-law, who is a total food snob, broke down and asked me for this recipe! Enjoy."
"This is a great, healthy soup my husband and I have enjoyed a few different times. I always make it with canned tomatoes as that is usually what I have on hand. I also add more seasonings (about double what is called for) as we like spice. Nothing could be more perfect on a chilly day!"