- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (18 ounces) polenta, sliced and warmed, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, paprika, sugar and pepper flakes; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. With the back of a spoon, make four wells in sauce. Break an egg into each well. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Sprinkle with parsley. If desired, serve with polenta. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Eggs in Purgatory in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Reviews for Eggs in Purgatory
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review