Eggs Florentine Recipe
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat stick margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- Dash paprika
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt margarine. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of sauce into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and peel. Set aside and keep warm.
- 3. Place spinach in a steamer basket. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until wilted and tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a skillet or omelet pan with high sides, bring 2 to 3 in. water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer. Holding the dish close to the surface of the simmering water, slip the eggs, one at a time, into the water. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Lift out of the water with a slotted spoon.
- 5. Place spinach on each muffin half; top with an egg. Spoon 3 tablespoons sauce over each egg. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving equals 229 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 267 mg cholesterol, 635 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.