- 8 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large skillet, bring 2-3 in. of water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup. Holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip eggs into simmering water. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- With a slotted spoon, lift poached eggs out of water. On each muffin half, place a slice of tomato, a slice of Canadian bacon, a poached egg and four pieces of asparagus. Top each with about 3 tablespoons cheese sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Eggs Benedict in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p49
Reviews for Eggs Benedict
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2011
"The sauce is a poor substitute for Hollandaise."