- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato puree, Italian seasoning and brown sugar.
- Drain pasta; stir in tomato mixture and roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese
Sort By :
I was looking for a new zucchini recipe amd came across this. It came out delicious and was easy. I have a feeling it will make great leftovers too.
A great recipe that used a lot of garden fresh veggies from my grandma's garden. Will definitely make this again. I used group turkey instead of beef.
Just loved this recipe, however, altered it a bit. Family is not that into the zucchini. I added, in addition to the ground beef, Perri Sausage, or any other brand of sausage, you may like. I used Hot Sausage, browned with the hamburg, or you can bake it ahead of time, and cut into small bite sizes. Also, found that the Italian Seasoning, was WAY WAY to Heavy, and over whelmed the entire Dish. I would ad HALF the amount, next time I make this. This is a fast meal to make for last minute get togethers, served with a fresh Salad and Garlic Bread! Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
After reading the reviews, I opted to make a few adjustments. You can mix & match as you like. Last night, I roasted a big sweet onion, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, and sliced mushrooms. For my sauce, I just had 2 cans of diced italian style tomatoes (14.5oz ea.) and 1 can of tomato sauce on hand. I left out the brown sugar and added a bit of italian seasoning. Oh- we are big italian sausage lovers so that it was I used. Big fans of this recipe!!
We really liked this. I didn't have any puree on hand, so I used marinara sauce in it's place. I also added more garlic and used whole wheat pasta.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >