“I roast the veggies while the pasta cooks, making this a quick dish.” This meal-in-one blends rustic comfort with fresh flavors. Trisha Kruse - Eagle, Idaho
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato puree, Italian seasoning and brown sugar.
- Drain pasta; stir in tomato mixture and roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009, p56
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review