Eggplant with Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds eggplant, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional olive oil for frying
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut eggplant into 1/2-in.-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt. Place in a deep dish; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Rinse with cold water; drain and dry on paper towels. In a 2-qt. saucepan, heat oil over medium heat Add the tomatoes, garlic, basil and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm while preparing eggplant. In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 cup oil; brown eggplant, a quarter at a time, adding more oil as needed. Place on a serving platter one row at a time. Cover with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Eggplant with Tomato Sauce
"Instead of frying, I slice the eggplant, brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and roast in a 350 degree oven, turning after 15 minutes to assure that both sides get browned. Very yummy with leftover spaghetti sauce, too."
"Wasy to make. Quick to make. Everybody liked it."
"This recipe is the best eggplant I have made. Plus no breading (i.e., extra calories).CAC, Clifton Park, NY"