Eggplant with Mushroom Stuffing Recipe
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell. Set shell aside. Chop pulp; place in a colander over a plate. Sprinkle with salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Blot moisture with a paper towel.
- 2. In a skillet, saute eggplant pulp and onion in butter until tender. Add the bread crumbs, mushrooms, parsley and pepper. Spoon into eggplant shells.
- 3. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 414 calories, 31g fat (19g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 3941mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein .
Reviews for Eggplant with Mushroom Stuffing
"This was way too salty to eat. Blotting the moisture didn't seem to help."
"This dish was pretty good. I also made it in a casserole, but used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had on hand. Don't make the mistake I did and forget to blot the extra moisture from the eggplant after draining - it was way too salty. Next time I might add some chopped celery to the veg mixture to give it a little more crunch."
"easy enough for me and delicious!:)"