Eggplant Skillet Dinner Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a skillet, brown beef with onion; drain. Sprinkle flour over beef; stir to mix. Add next five ingredients; mix well.
- 2. Season eggplant with salt and pepper; arrange slices over meat mixture. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with shredded cheese; cook until cheese melts. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 323 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Eggplant Skillet Dinner
"My husband loved this recipe. I made it at the lake in my electric skillet. I used my own garden fresh tomatoes in place of the tomato sauce. I simply diced them up to equal about the same amount. I included the juice from the diced tomatoes as well. I also added two cloves of minced garlic, once I added garlic powder instead. I have used both sliced mozzarella cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese either one works well. I shared some with a neighboring camper, and they loved it, asking for the recipe. The fresh tomatoes and garlic really add to the dish. I think you could use canned diced tomatoes as well. A dish we will use over and over to use up garden fresh eggplant and tomatoes."
"not too bad! i used mozz cheese and it came out pretty good."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.