My children always enjoyed this tasty dish. It was a great way to introduce them to eggplant.—Virginia Jung, Janesville, Wisconsin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion; drain. Sprinkle flour over beef; stir to mix. Add next five ingredients; mix well.
- Season eggplant with salt and pepper; arrange slices over meat mixture. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with shredded cheese; cook until cheese melts. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant Skillet Dinner in Country Ground Beef 1993, p80
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Eggplant Skillet Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review