- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set sausage aside.
- In the same skillet, saute eggplant and onion in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, basil and paprika; simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; stir into eggplant mixture. Add sausage.
- Spread half of the sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread with ricotta cheese. Top with half of the cheese and remaining sausage mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Sausage Casserole
"This is most delicious. I agree that you have to make extra sauce or it will be dry. I love eggplant so I was all over this recipe. It actually takes on the flavor of the sauce while cooking. I always make my own sauce, but I actually used a good jar marinara and seasoned it up to my liking, added some fire roasted tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, etc. I don't like a lot of meat in my sauce so I cut back on the sausage a little. Will make again!"
"This was really good!! Couldn't taste the eggplant at all. Definitely will make again!"
"I am going to try this today, but I might just use a jar of sauce instead of tomatoes/paste."
"I added mushroom, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper for extra flavors. I even added extra diced tomatoes & tomato sauce to keep it from being so dry, & it still turned out too dry. Was just OK so no, will probably not make it again. I was really disappointed for I love eggplant & sausage. Hubby said please do not make this again."
"This was really good! The only thing I would change next time is less noodles. I, too, felt they were either too big or too many-- I couldn't fit the whole casserole in the 9x13. I wouldn't change anything else. The eggplant was a nice change!"