This recipe has been passed down through the family, starting with my grandmother, who learned it from her neighbor. It's a delightful way to prepare eggplant.
10 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 4 medium tomatoes, cubed (3-1/2 to 4 cups)
- 3 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup French salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Place with cut side down in a
- greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes
- or until tender.
- Cool, peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2-in. cubes; place in a large
- salad bowl. Add tomatoes, eggs and onion. Add dressing, salt and
- pepper; toss. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (made with low-fat dressing and without added salt) equals 2 vegetable and 1/2 fat; also, 76 calories, 268 mg sodium, 62 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 3 gm fat.