- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Dash each salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Peel and slice eggplant lengthwise into fifteen 1/8-in.-thick slices.
- Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let
- stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until
- flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Rinse and drain
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread
- crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant in eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry eggplant
- in batches 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on
- paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spoon 1 cup sauce into an ungreased
- 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread 2 rounded tablespoons filling over each
- eggplant slice. Carefully roll up and place seam side down in baking
- dish. Spoon remaining sauce over roll-ups. Sprinkle with remaining
- Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 roll-ups equals 726 calories, 48 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 181 mg cholesterol, 3,182 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.