- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 4 ounces smoked fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cut bread lengthwise in half. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Brush over eggplant and mushrooms.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce over bottom of bread. Top with eggplant and mushrooms. Spread with remaining sauce; top with basil and cheese. Replace bread top.
- Wrap loaf in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.); seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Eggplant-Portobello Sandwich Loaf
"Excellent, love this sandwich! Smoked mozzarella is not necessary, but makes a big difference!"
"Great! My husband thought it was a very tasty and much healthier alternative to a typical eggplant parm sub. I cooked the eggplant and mushrooms on the indoor grill and placed the whole wrapped sandwich in the oven to heat through."