Eggplant Pockets Recipe
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 pita pocket halves
- 1. In a large saucepan, plate 1 in. of water and eggplant; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the red pepper, celery, carrots, zucchini and onion in oil for 6-8 minutes until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, seasonings and reserved eggplant. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Spoon into pitas. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 176 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Eggplant Pockets
"I hadn't boiled eggplant before and was happy with how quickly it cooked!I didn't have pepper or onion on hand so I added mushrooms and then used chopped carrots instead of shredded - great meal!"