- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 pita pocket halves
- In a large saucepan, plate 1 in. of water and eggplant; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the red pepper, celery, carrots, zucchini and onion in oil for 6-8 minutes until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, seasonings and reserved eggplant. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Spoon into pitas. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant Pockets in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p46
Reviews for Eggplant Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
"I hadn't boiled eggplant before and was happy with how quickly it cooked!I didn't have pepper or onion on hand so I added mushrooms and then used chopped carrots instead of shredded - great meal!"