Eggplant Pizzas Recipe
Baked, crumb-coated slices of eggplant provide the “crust” for my unusual but yummy pizzas. Smother them with mozzarella cheese, veggies, sausage or any other toppings you like.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups garden-style spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs and then coat in crumbs. Place on greased baking sheets; coat tops with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a bowl; keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and zucchini in oil until tender. Return sausage to the skillet; stir to combine.
- 3. Spread spaghetti sauce on eggplant rounds. Top with sausage mixture, spinach and cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC