- leaves, oregano and thyme in oil until onions are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and lemon-pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add garlic;
- simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves.
- Rinse eggplant slices; pat dry with paper towels. In a shallow bowl,
- combine eggs and pepper; place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Dip eggplant into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5
- In a large skillet, cook half of the eggplant in 2 tablespoons butter
- for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat with
- remaining eggplant and butter.
- In each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes, layer half of
- each of the eggplant, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat
- layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375°
- for 35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10-12
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.