Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in eggs, then coat in crumbs. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once.
- In a small bowl, combine the mushrooms, basil and oregano. In another small bowl, combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with a third of the mushroom mixture, eggplant, 3/4 cup sauce and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Parmesan(12)
Sort By :
This was good. Not spectacular. I did add more seasoning to the mushrooms. I didn't find this bland, but I don't know maybe I was just missing meat. Trying to do more vegetarian recipes. One thing is that I bought 24 oz sauce. Never saw 28 oz. So parts of mine were dry, which was ok cause it was crunchy from the panko. Next time I'd get the 36 oz and probably use the whole thing.
I liked the flavor of this eggplant parmesan. My family did not care for this one because the eggplant peels were tough
A little light on seasoning, but overall very good! Given that other responders mentioned that panko took longer to brown, I flipped the slices and brushed the panko-coated tops lightly with olive oil then placed under the broiler. Worked well.
For being a contest winning recipe I expected a better result. The Panko does take longer to brown than listed in the recipe. If I do make this again, I would use more sauce and amp up the oregano and other spices.
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Eggplant Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >