“Mushrooms make an ideal substitute for meat in this Italian pasta dinner,” says Priscilla Gilbert of Indian Harbour Beach, Florida. “I like to serve crisp rolls or garlic bread and a green salad on the side.”
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 4-1/2 cups cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook eggplant in oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in olives; heat through.
- Drain pasta; toss with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant-Mushroom Pasta Toss in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p36
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant-Mushroom Pasta Toss
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review