Salsa gives fun flavor to eggplant slices in this speedy dish from Alyce de Roos of Corunna, Ontario. "We had an overabundance of eggplant some years ago when this recipe caught my eye," she recalls. "My husband and I think it's delicious."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup salsa, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic powder and oregano; brush
- over both sides of eggplant. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for
- 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Spoon a small amount of
- salsa into the center of each; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 230 calories, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.