Eggplant in Tomato Sauce
Things don't get much quicker than this mouthwatering side dish from Edna Hoffman. The Hebron, Indiana reader broils sliced eggplant before topping it with a speedy garlic-seasoned tomato sauce and a little Parmesan cheese.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-in. thick slices. Place on a broiler
- pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4 in.
- from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce and garlic powder. Drizzle over
- eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 50 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.