Eggplant Dip Recipe
Garlic and a host of herbs pleasantly season this savory spread. It's a "must" on my holiday menu because I can make it in advance.—Linda Roberson, Collierville, Tennessee
- 3 cups cubed eggplant
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (6 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives, drained and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Pita bread wedges or tortilla or corn chips
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the eggplant, onion, red pepper, mushrooms and oil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender; add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the olives, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, salt, oregano and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until flavors are blended. Serve warm or at room temperature with pita wedges or chips. Yield: 3 cups.
2 tablespoons dip (calculated without pita bread or chips) equals 53 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Eggplant Dip
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC