Eggplant Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add eggplant. Boil for 5-8 minutes or until tender;drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tomato is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in milk, egg and eggplant; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Casserole(12)
Sort By :
I have added both green and yellow squash to this dish. It reminds me a lot of Ratatouille (which my family loves) only this recipe has no frying involved which I LOVE!!
I used hot Italian sausage in place of the ground beef so it had plenty of flavor from the sausage. If I used ground beef or turkey, though, I think it would need a little more spice of some kind, maybe some hot peppers or garlic or herbs. I did add a layer of cheese under the bread crumbs, and that was good, too. Instead of one big casserole, I made several smaller ones. The bread crumbs got really crispy and that texture really added to the dish. Will definitely make this again!
A good way to use vegetables and still be good. Sprinkling cheese over the meat and vegetables (before the bread crumbs) adds a nice flavor.
was to bland maybe turkey would have been better but i hate turkey i even added extra to it and it didnt help
This recipe was easy to make. I used ground turkey and fresh parmesean cheese. Next time I make it I won"t cook the veggies as long since they cook during the oven time.
More Recipe Collections
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Eggplant Casserole >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >