With lots of vegetables, this good-for-you dish is low in calories, but full of flavor. I make it often in summer when fresh produce is abundant.—Marelyn Baugher, Holdredge, Nebraska
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add eggplant. Boil for 5-8 minutes or until tender;drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tomato is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in milk, egg and eggplant; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant Casserole in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p186
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review