Here’s a memorable take on an all-time classic. Maxine Petersohn tops eggplant slices with chopped tomatoes, fresh basil and cheese before broiling them. "My family thoroughly enjoys them," she pens from Cortez, Florida.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 5 min.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt
- and gently toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Coat both sides of each slice with cooking spray. Place on a broiler
- pan. Top eggplant with tomatoes, basil and cheeses. Broil 6 in. from
- the heat for 5-7 minutes or until eggplant is tender and cheese is
- melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 slices equals 68 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.