Eggplant Bruschetta Recipe
One word describes this summer appetizer..."wonderful"! The crispy exterior of the tender eggplant slices and the robust taste of tomato and basil topping create a dynamic flavor duo. It's delicious served chilled or at room temperature.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant in the flour mixture, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion and basil. Top each eggplant slice with mozzarella cheese and tomato mixture. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Eggplant Bruschetta in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p231
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Bruschetta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cold Appetizer Recipes >
- Cold Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Italian Appetizers >
- Italian Bruschetta >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Carb Appetizers >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mozzarella Bruschetta >
- Party Appetizers >