Eggplant & Zucchini Rollatini Recipe
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons each dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel and slice eggplant lengthwise into sixteen 1/8-in. thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine mozzarella and cream cheese; mix well. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 2 tablespoons oil until tender; remove and set aside.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in eggs, then bread crumbs. Fry eggplant in remaining oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer eggplant slices with zucchini; top each with 3 tablespoons cheese mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Eggplant & Zucchini Rollatini
Sort By :
this recipe sounds awesome but I am a little confused. What and how do you roll them up?
I never think about eggplant and haven't eaten it for many years, but my daughter works at a local product stand and they sold it. I received this recipe from Taste of Home by email and decided to try it. It was the absolute best! So much so, that I made it again the following week and also took a tray to a friend.
This was very labor intensive but a great recipe....I am always looking for good eggplant recipes. Even those who don't like eggplant will eat this one.....is now on my favorites list....
Sorry that people think we are complaining when we make a small change. I think feed back is good for everyone. It is a great recipe.
We enjoyed this recipe. I baked ours instead of frying. Very good.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >
- Vegetarian Dinner Recipes >