Someone at the table is bound to praise your rollatini dish, then ask what the heck it is. Your simple answer: thin slices of eggplant that are lightly breaded and fried, covered with cheeses, rolled up, topped with tangy tomato sauce and baked. —Andrea Rivera, Westbury, New York
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons each dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel and slice eggplant lengthwise into sixteen 1/8-in.-thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine mozzarella and cream cheese; mix well. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 2 tablespoons oil until tender; remove and set aside.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in eggs, then bread crumbs. Fry eggplant in remaining oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer eggplant slices with zucchini; top each with 3 tablespoons cheese mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Eggplant & Zucchini Rollatini in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p59
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Eggplant & Zucchini Rollatini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review