Store-bought eggnog just can't compete with my homemade version. Apricot brandy is my "secret" ingredient!—Shelia Weimer, Bluefield, West Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:20 servings
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup apricot brandy or brandy
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 3. Transfer to a large bowl; cool quickly by placing bowl in ice water and stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the brandy, rum, bourbon and vanilla. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in cream and nutmeg. Yield: 20 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 252 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC