- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup apricot brandy or brandy
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 3. Transfer to a large bowl; cool quickly by placing bowl in ice water and stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the brandy, rum, bourbon and vanilla. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in cream and nutmeg. Yield: 20 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 252 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Eggnog
"Excellent! My 3 year old even helped make it. We cut the recipe in half for three of us and now kiddo wants to make it for bible study on Sat. We left out the alcohol and it was still great. Definitely better than store bought and so easy."