This classic Christmas dessert is too delicious to have just once a year. So our family serves it for birthdays…and whatever other occasion we can think of! —Cynthia Butt, Winnipeg, Manitoba
8-10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups eggnog
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- 1 loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces) or sponge cake
- 1 cup raspberry jam or preserves
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherry halves
- In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix until blended. Gradually add
- eggnog; mix well. Fold in extract and 1 cup whipped cream; set
- Cut cake into 1/2-in. slices; place a fourth in a 2-qt. serving bowl.
- Top with 1/3 cup jam. Spoon 1 cup of eggnog mixture over all. Repeat
- twice. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Fold sugar and vanilla into remaining whipped cream; spoon on top of
- trifle. Garnish with cherries. Yield: 8-10 servings.