- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place walnuts in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg whites; roll in walnuts.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in center of each with your thumb. Bake 10-12 minutes or until center is set. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter and extract until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with enough milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food coloring. Fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon filling. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Eggnog Thumbprints
"Do these cookies have to be refrigerated, as there is milk in the frosting? They are delicious!!"
"Very, very delicious, but a lot of work for 28 cookies. I would say 1 inch balls were too large! Try smaller balls. I also had to use additional nuts. And I doubled the rum extract in the frosting."
"One little thing from the original recipe, this one FORGOT to sprinkle nutmeg on top to give it the "rum plus nutmeg" eggnog taste, after piping the filling. I've been making these for years and it is one of my friends' and family's favorite cookie."
"My boss brought us some of these the nuts and frosting was a great combo but sweet."
"Maybe I did something wrong, but I made a batch & a half, and still didn't get 4 dozen cookies out of this recipe. I needed more nuts, too. The cookies were very yummy, though!"
"This cookie recipe is basically the same as one that I've made for years called P'Nut Sittn' Pretties. However, the eggnog cream was to die for! My dad, who isn't a big sweets fan, raved about these. We were licking the bowl that the cream was made in. Yummy!"
"The filling was very good. Made for the Holidays. Would double the recipe next year these are pretty cute little things. One substitution I made was rum cream instead of rum extract I didn't have any."
"I make these all the time! My family loves them."
"These cookies are delicious!!! They're light, fluffy, and bite sized! The eggnog filling is the best part :)"