Eggnog Thumbprints Recipe
Says Mary Ann Ludwig of Edwardsville, Illinois, “These cute cookie bites always get a recipe request. They make special holiday gifts and freeze well, too.”
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; dip in egg whites, then roll in walnuts. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Using a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in. indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until center is set. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For filling, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Pipe about 1/2 teaspoon into each cookie. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 82 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC