These cute cookie bites always get a recipe request. They make special holiday gifts and freeze well, too.— Mary Ann Ludwig, Edwardsville, Illinois
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place walnuts in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg whites; roll in walnuts.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in center of each with your thumb. Bake 10-12 minutes or until center is set. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter and extract until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with enough milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food coloring. Fill each cookie with 1/2 teaspoon filling. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Eggnog Thumbprints in Taste of Home
Reviews for Eggnog Thumbprints
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review