Pies are therapy to me. This is one I make for special events and holiday celebrations. The eggnog and sweet potato make a soft filling that goes nicely with the crunchy topping. —Sarah Spaugh, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup eggnog
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Carefully spread caramel topping over bottom of pastry shell; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, eggnog, egg, butter and vanilla. Stir in the sugars and cinnamon. Carefully spoon over caramel layer.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the coconut, flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in pecans. Sprinkle over pie.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and topping is golden brown (cover edges with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning). Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Eggnog Sweet Potato Pie in Country December/January 2009, p51
Reviews for Eggnog Sweet Potato Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review