- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the nutmeg and remaining sugar. Roll dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Eggnog Snickerdoodles
"This is a very nice eggnog cookie. I really enjoyed it. My family gave the cookies mixed reviews however I don't care because I wanted an eggnog cookie to enjoy and this one was perfect. I would reduce the sugar in these the next time though. With the amount in the cookie plus the amount used to roll the cookie in I found them a tad sweet. The second time I made these I also added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon eggnog and reduced the heat to 375 degrees for 10 minutes. This is a slightly crispy cookie on the outside with a delicious soft inside. Thank you for a great recipe."
"These cookies are delicious.I made them at Christmastime; but my family enjoys them so much that I make them all the time."
"Easy to make. Not fluffy like the photo. Little too crispy for my liking. Nice flavour. Pretty. I would recommend baking them at a lower temperature. That helped to reduce the crispness."
"I make these every year for Christmas!"
"Absolutely wonderful moist cookies. Turned out perfect for me. The rum and the nutmeg are the best taste combination in this recipe. The kids all want these made now over any other cookie.Thanks for sharing."
"These turned out great and made a lot for just a little effort. A great addition to our holiday cookies this year. Love the eggnog flavor!!!"
"I just baked these and found them to have no flavor."
"This cookie has the WOW factor....amazing!It made 6.5 doz. like it said. The dough was very easy to work with. I didn't have rum extract so i used Bacardi....shhh. it worked just fine. It does resemble egg nog! I'm throwing out my other recipes for snicker doodles....ty 4 sharing!"
"Tasty cookies and easy to make. However, the yield was only 4.5 dozen - not 6.5 as the recipes says. Therefore, I need to make another batch today to have enough for my cookie exchange!! I used a #50 size scoop to make the balls, which ended up with a cookie that is 2.75" in diameter - a nice, but not over sized cookie. I usually expect it to not make as many as it says it will, but don't expect it to be off by 2 dozen!!"
"Very good! They turned out great just as the recipe is written. Watch them close in the oven. They are fluffier if you take them out before they really brown around the edges. If need be, leave them on the pan a few minutes before removing to cool."