Eggnog Poundcake with Custard Sauce Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup eggnog
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Beat on low until for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with the cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 slice: 221 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Eggnog Poundcake with Custard Sauce
"My husband enjoyed the this cake even without the custard sauce. I made an eggnog glaze to drizzle over the cake."
"super easy to do. good flavor. not dense enough to be called a pound cake though. I didn't make the custard sauce."
"Very moist and delicious."
"I got compliments on this, but it didn't brown evenly like in the picture?"
"I made this cake last year and it turned out wonderful and delicious. When I made it this year it fell. Not sure why, everything is the same...same oven, indgredients etc. Any ideas?"
"this cake was delicious. The sauce was awesome. I have requests for more."