Eggnog Pound Cake Recipe
When you're having company, this cake—served with a custard sauce and a dash of nutmeg—inspires "oohs" and "aahs".
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups nonalcoholic eggnog
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CREAMY CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional ground nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Beat on low until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; invert on a wire rack. Meanwhile, for sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolk in a small bowl; stir in half of hot mixture, then return to saucepan and cook 1 minute on low. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and butter. Cool completely. Fold in whipped cream; refrigerate. Serve sauce over cake slices; sprinkle nutmeg on top if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 206 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC