Eggnog Napoleons Recipe
These individual pastry desserts featuring the flavor of eggnog are Christmasy and yummy. Plus, I can start preparing them ahead of time and do the assembly just before serving.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Confectioners' sugar and ground nutmeg
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg. Whisk in milk and rum. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling; refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry; roll into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cut into fifteen 4x2-in. rectangles. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; cool 10 minutes. Split each pastry into two layers, making 30 layers total; cool completely.
- 4. Reserve 10 of the top pastry layers. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon filling onto each of 10 bottom pastry layers. Top each with a second pastry layer and another rounded tablespoon filling. Top with reserved pastry layers. Refrigerate until serving. To serve, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nutmeg. Yield: 10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC