- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the cream and milk. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise. With a sharp knife, scrape seeds into pan; add bean.
- Heat cream mixture until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in rum and nutmeg. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Discard vanilla bean. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, cream and corn syrup; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in rum. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Eggnog Ice Cream with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p153
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Eggnog Ice Cream with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review