- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a rolling boil. Add flour all at once and beat until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag; cut a 1-in. hole in one corner of bag. Pipe 3-in. strips 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until puffed, very firm and golden brown. Pierce side of each eclair with tip of a knife. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To assemble, cut off the top third of each eclair. Pull out and discard soft dough from inside tops and bottoms. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cold custard. Spoon into eclair bottoms; replace tops.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; spread over eclairs. Serve immediately. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Eggnog Eclairs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p140
Reviews for Eggnog Eclairs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review